Does anyone else feel like they are banging their heads against a brick wall?

Hi all,

Over the past 4 years we have developed the now Training and Coaching department and managed a slow buy in of Training and Coaching from our call centre supervisory team.  However yesterday, the wall hit hard when a colleague asked why they had to compelete effectiveness for a course.  To top it off the sentence 'if the training and coaching department want it, why shouldn't they do it' sprung from the persons lips.  I was mortified.

It clearly confirmed in my mind, that some people managers, just don't want to manage people and aren't interested in their staff development, so whay are they managers and what do they do with their time?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can create a lightbulb moment for these people?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dan,

First off – I’m really sorry this hit you so suddenly and badly. It’s not a nice thing to happen. However, there is a reason for it, it is unlikely to be what you have managed to skilfully build and finding it will reap a heap of benefits.

I’m a big fan of using a holistic approach. Whilst KPIs on their own can be counter-productive, and ROI can be near impossible to prove, they are in a language that managers understand, particularly in call centres where “targets” and “KPIs” are used in lingual syntax like “the” and pronouns.

I found the (slightly overused) term “Engagement” a winning one, especially if you put it across into terms that these managers will understand. It could be as simple as considering retention rates or turnover rates of staff in that particular team vs. other teams, or even vs. similar teams in other companies. Link this in with the cost of recruiting a new person and the average time it takes to train them up for them to become a proficient and productive team member. This translates to loss of investment rather than return of it. Albeit negative, it does build up a business case to why L&D is important to retain and develop talent even in a high-turnover environment.

I may be stating the obvious here- but specifically regarding your manager - I would assume there is an issue behind the acidity of their remark. I’ve often found that it is worth the while doing a spot of risk assessment about this kind of attitude and finding out its sources. You are most likely to find they have nothing to do with your efforts, but would require some diligent investigation to untangle the source and nip it at the bud.
In fact, I may be so bold that before you engage with solving the problem with what you think is a good solution, you engage in a little bit of investigating and root/cause analysis to understand where this has come from and how prevalent this attitude is in your organisation.

I wish you the best of luck with it all, and will be cheeky enough to ask if you could keep us posted.
All the best,
Shani.

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2017   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service