Systems training: examples/case studies of a roll out plan

Hi, 

I'm working with a Director in my organisation who needs to roll out some systems training next year.

A problem we have is that the system is already live, however, people are not using the system (even though their role has that responsibility). This is also fed by the fact that people struggle to use the system, hence the training need. We have all of the training materials ready to run but I'm trying to persuade her that the PR/comms plan is as important as the systems training itself and that we first need to build accountability, ownership and help people understand the benefits of the system. 

Does anyone know of any similar successful case studies that are out there that I can share with her help conceptualise what I'm suggesting? 

Thanks!

Paul

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately I can't help you with your request, but I think u are right there in wanting to highlight the benefits of the system to the employees. I once wrote a learning strategy that was very much focussed at let the employees realise why the system had to be used and in what way it would enable the employees and the company save time and money. I use the term " let realise" and not "tell" , explain" etc, because I believe that adults react better to changes when they understand the "why" rather than the "what".

Antonella

Hi Paul,

You may find this Mcdonalds elearning case study interesting. It was a gamified module developed to train staff on a new system. So it's slightly different to your circumstances but you may find it inspiring from a gamification point of view. They also made the training incredibly practical rather than theory-based (and knowledge delivery based), so approaching it in that way may increase employee engagement.

It sounds like it's not simply a knowledge and skills gap that exists in the company, but a motivation gap. I think you could start addressing this by focussing on the 'why' of the course in the build up before the course launch (like Antonella suggested) and highlighting the benefits of the new system. This sort of mass behavioural change often takes time as well, so don't expect everyone to suddenly get on board. Repetition and consistency in the message is key.

Finally, since this is not a new system, I assume that training has been distributed before. It's vital that you find out why previous training was not very effective so that you avoid repeating mistakes from the past.

Hope some of this helps

Luke

Thanks Antonella and Luke for the comments and ideas.

From my initial observations I'm not sure the previous training was rolled out sufficiently enough and there is no plan to catch new employees through induction (which is a whole other piece of string that I'm starting to pull!). But I'm still looking into other things to see what I can find. Unfortunately I dont know how much evaluation was done originally....

I'll take a look at the Mcdonalds case study.

Thanks!

Hi Paul.  I don't know of documented case studies.  What I do know is that in my group, where we focus on systems training, we begin any request for training with a performance consultation using Nigel Harrison's Perform Consult model (http://www.performconsult.co.uk/downloads.htm).  From here, it becomes obvious, if not already, to the requestor, that getting people to perform in the required way is not just about knowledge and skills, but is also about their motivation and environment.  This is usually an aha moment when they work it out for themselves. 

The people in your organisation are doing what they are doing because the system they operate in is providing the perfect conditions for that behaviour to thrive.  If you change the conditions (eg motivation and environment, as well as address any knowledge or skills gaps), the behaviour will change.  It has to.  I have had success with the Perform Consult model for years, and it continues to deliver.

Hi Paul

We tend to use superusers in the workflow to provide support. It is not enough to just roll out training as you highlight. Strategy for systems roll may include initial information, a training event, user guides, short guides, resources - video/screencasts help etc (and I guess you know this.)

Manager support and team structure are also important. Anyway, having support on hand in the form of superusers is a must for us in a large global corporation. 

Happy to throw around ideas if you want.

Julian

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service