Looking for a bit of advice from our LSG members in Local Government and beyond.  I am part of a Programme Office that is implementing a new HRMS system across 3 Local Authorities. As part of this, we are looking to introduce a self service element for employees and managers that will handle routine HR processes.

I am about to produce an outline plan that will help each Council engage employees and managers with self service, whether this be for all the aspects of self service or for a few at first. 

Do you have any lessons learnt and experiences to share?

My email address is soulla.pitrakkou@stockport.gov.uk

You need to be a member of learningandskillsgroup to add comments!

Join learningandskillsgroup

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for your replies and advice.

Do you know of any case studies in Local Government that I can tap into? In particularly, ones that went through a phased approach to rollout.

• One of the key things to deal with are the issues surrounding the “What’s in it for me?” feelings.  Whenever processes are transferred from central to personal ownership there can be two conflicting thoughts.  One is very much about the personal convenience the new processes bring; the other is about “So what on earth do all those folk in HR do now?”

I’d suggest that you really focus on the issues of personal convenience e.g. being able to book leave, updating your personal details and the like.  Clearly the Authorities are going to save money by introducing the new processes (or else why bother) but I’d put the organisation benefits to one side and really focus on the personal benefits this change can bring.

One of the most famous (or most publicised) self-service systems was introduced by British Airways and the following link gives you their story:  http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac79/docs/wp/British_Airways_CS_1024...

As Denise has said, the use of personal stories or scenarios can be of great benefit.  Perhaps you could show a before and after with “Harry booking some time off” or “Hilary authorising a new promotion.” 

Keep the communications bold and simple - take a leaf out of Apple for this (no pun intended) and ensure that you communicate key messages associated with personal benefit rather than talking about the technical nature of the change.

In my experience the introduction of these systems is fairly straightforward.  With over half of the UK population having bought something online, never mind the number of people who’ve used internet banking or use social media sites, the concept of “doing it yourself” is well understood.

Good luck!

Jonathan.

• In my experience communication is king.  Drip feed notifications, poster campaign, floorwalkers, briefings, Factsheets, job-aids, webinars, podcasts, e-bytes etc.  I have also used User Stories and scenarios on the Intranet works as well.  People need to feel that they are able to ask questions and get prompt responses.  The more channels you can keep open for users to communicate their experiences, issues etc the better.  Happy to chat if you need anything specific. 
This reply was deleted.