Reports in moodle

Hi everyone

We've just launched a moodle and are trying to get to get to grips with the reporting side of things (and a lot of other things besides that!).  Does anyone have any great resources that helped them extract meaningful user data?  And, aside from corporate objectives, what kind of things do you report on and what does it help you to do?

Many thanks
Jo

You need to be a member of learningandskillsgroup to add comments!

Join learningandskillsgroup

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi

We have had lots of reporting work done on module completion outstanding modules and reporting on individual groups

when the system has lots of data to search it tends to lock up. We have 5000 users with around 130 separate scorm items

Our best solution has been to export csv files overnight and report via business objects.

Regards

Tom

• Hi Joanna
    I will be interested to hear what you come up with on this. We have not started developing our reports, although the Charity Learning Consortium has a Moodle with some custom reporting.
    I think we will be looking for reports such as:
    - User progress in course, and time/duration of access
    - Most popular courses in given time (e.g. month) or by user group - e.g top 10
    - Total learning time for month/year for whole organisation and by user group
    In my experience it's easy to get the detail out of a LMS, but more difficult to get it to collate high level data for corporate reporting;/benchmarking.
  • Hi Joanna - I think Kineo have developed a reporting module for Moodle. You may want to get in touch with someone there and see what they have available.
  • Joanna, it maybe worth having a look at available plug ins, one I have looked at for our latest upgrade is Moomis but I am yet to fully implement it as it's just on a development server, it can be found at http://www.aardpress.com/moomis.php

Not sure anyone can give it a glowing reference but from our testing looks better than the standard reporting. Hope it helps
  • Kirkpatrick reports

Responses to evaluation surveys added to a specific course can be viewed by Site and Course level administrators. Responses are displayed graphically on screen and the administrator can choose whether to view each individual response or an overview of the collated responses
  • Moodle does not provide site administrators with a simple way of tracking which courses users or groups of users have been assigned to.

The administrator is able to filter the report according to the user's site (selecting show all / choose individual site from a dropdown list), job title (selecting show all / choose individual job title from a dropdown list) or course (selecting show all / choose individual course from a dropdown list). Once they have set their filters the administrator will select a 'Run report' button to generate the report in CSV format.

The user's overall score for each course that they have been enrolled on will be displayed against their record for the relevant course. If a user has not attempted the course but has been enrolled on it a score of 0 will be displayed. If a user has not been enrolled on a course a '-' will be displayed.

From this report an administrator would be able to see how many users have been registered on the site. By filtering the spreadsheet they will be able to view what proportion have a development plan (ie have been enrolled on courses) and the extent to which the development plan has been carried out.

User logs

A more detailed overview of a user's activity on the site can be obtained from the site logs included in the core Moodle functionality. There are a number of site-wide logs that can be generated, the most useful of which is the user activity log. This lists all of the activities carried out on the site by a user including resource viewing, course access, course registration and posts on forums and wikis. The report can be viewed through the Moodle interface and is displayed as follows

The Overview report provides a simple list of courses that each user has been enrolled on in the site, their overall grade for each course and optionally their class rank. Even though this report provides site-wide information it can only be accessed from the course page. This report can not be exported as an XLS file.

The User report displays each user's performance on a specific course and lists the grades, percentage score and feedback achieved for each activity within the course. This report is displayed on the page and can not be exported. Administrators can choose whether to display just one user report at a time or all of them simultaneously.

Face to face training (if plugged in)

Site and course administrators will be able to obtain reports on each face to face training session organised
    If multiple sessions have been delivered for different dates all of these will be exported into a single report. The report is exported as an XLS file and will display:
This reply was deleted.