Is it something that is going to change everything or just another fad? If it becomes integral and expected what does this mean to choice, communication and how will we keep up with it all? Just a few of the questions I am thinking about when looking 15 years ahead. Great to have your ideas

You need to be a member of learningandskillsgroup to add comments!

Join learningandskillsgroup

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Jane - I certainly feel that there is something important coming about to make a significant difference. Collaboration, ownership, becoming an integral part of the learning group sounds right from a training perspective. I worry about what these changes in relationship could mean to training professionals and those trying to manage development pathways from a resources perspective. Not being able to 'dictate' how when and where is fundamental to being able to become agile and address the 'just in time' apsect. Questions over how to maintain quality and focus when there are drivers from the whole group or just those most engaged steering the direction. Increased communication must offer huge benfits to everyone but how to build this into everyday life without it distracting or invading personal life even more than email seem to these days - there is another discussion in the forum looking at some of these aspects as well. Don't even want to start thinking how this may affect measurement of 'training hours' - well not for the time being anyway.
    • Yes, Christine, I agree. I think the point we are both saying is that this is going to bring about some pretty significant change in education (and training) in all quarters: students/learners, teachers/trainers and managers. The organisations, and of course also individuals, who can adapt to the changes it brings about are going to be the ones that succeed in the future.
  • HI Christine, great question. I think social media is going to make a fundamental difference to learning. Firstly it breaks down the traditional instructor-led, expert-driven approach to learning, so that all members of the learning network/environment are now as important as one another. I think this collaborative approach to learning (both formal and infromal) also can support a more flexible approach to learning, unlike the tradiional instructor-led model.
This reply was deleted.