The increased adoption of mobile learning is leading to wider use of mobile apps for employee training. In this article, I show you how you can use them not just to train but also to empower your employees and see your training impact soar.
Why You Should Start Using Mobile Apps For Employee Training
One of the key challenges that L&D teams face is disengaged employees. Despite the trainings being designed well and in line with the cues captured during TNA, this challenge still persists. As a result, the expected gains often do not happen.
One of the measures to offset this challenge is to adopt learning strategies that empower learners.
This is where mobile apps for learning fit in. They resonate very well with learners and thereby, the L&D teams see employees being more engaged with the trainings.
What Are Mobile Apps For Employee Training, And What Benefits Do They Offer?
Mobile apps for learning are a highly learner-centric format, and they truly empower learners by giving them control on how they want to learn.
- Given their ability to offer personalized learning that can be taken on the go and even when employees are offline, it makes mobile apps a preferred training delivery format for learners and businesses.
- With the widespread adoption of gamification and microlearning in online training, mobile apps for employee training can leverage on short, bite-sized, focused learning nuggets that can be offered over a gamified learning path. This further enhances the impact they deliver.
Being projected as the hottest mobile learning trend, mobile apps for employee training offer a high engagement quotient and show better completion rates (as compared to traditional eLearning approaches). Furthermore, they offer the following benefits:
- They offer the flexibility to learn on the go, on the device of the learners’ choice, and even when learners may be offline.
- They can be used for formal training, performance support or instant job aids, or to share curated assets for further learning.
- They can be used equally effectively for ILT sessions wherein both the trainer and the students have access to the training material/resources from their mobile devices.
- They are not for Millennials alone. Instead, they resonate well with the multi-generational workforce.
- From a business perspective, they offer a channel for L&D teams to push notifications, quick updates, as well as the flexibility to retain the connection with the learners.
How Do Mobile Apps Match Up To The Learners And The L&D Team’s Expectations?
Mobile Apps For Learning Align To What The Learners Want
- Given the daily challenges of distractions and the need to multitask, learners have limited time for training. As a result, they want to see training that is in their control (they can pull it up when required); it should be available on the go and preferably personalized.
- The training format should be immersive and resonate with learners. It should match their learning styles and preferences.
- Furthermore, the training delivery should sync with their lifestyle so that they don’t need to carve out separate time slots for training. Instead, they can use the available slots within their day and consume it to learn/practice/explore.
If you look at what mobile apps can offer for employee training, you will see that it ticks all these boxes.
Mobile Apps For Learning Align To What The L&D Teams Want
Mobile apps for employee training align equally well to what L&D teams want to see. They help them:
- Offset the challenge of disengaged employees.
- Provide high effectiveness, particularly on an application and behavioral change.
- Offset the Forgetting Curve.
Additionally, mobile apps can be used across varied training needs:
- Formal training
- Instant just-in-time job aids
- Ongoing connect
As you would note, even from L&D teams’ perspective, using mobile apps for employee training makes business sense.
How Can You Use Mobile Apps For Employee Training And Not Just Train But Empower Your Employees?
Here is my list of how mobile apps can be used for employee training, not just to train but also to empower your employees:
- Empowers Learners
This approach gives them a sense of control and also encourages self-directed learning.
Instead of logging on to the LMS and picking what they require, learners now have the flexibility to access information at all times. This can be consumed at the moment of their need or at the time of their choice.
Besides the flexibility of any time, anywhere training, mobile apps also enable learners to learn when they “want to” rather than being “told” when they should.
- Engaging And Aligned To Learners’ Preferences
The mobile apps format is engaging and aligned with the extensive use of smartphones during the day.
- Appeals To The Multi-Generational Workforce
Mobile apps for learning appeal to not just millennials but also to the multi-generational workforce.
- Learning As A Continuum
Learners can keep themselves abreast with the latest updates through notifications. This just-in-time approach works well for both learners and L&D teams.
- Instant, Just-In-Time Support
The best use case of mobile apps for learning is as just-in-time learning aids/instant job aids. This again empowers the learners to find a checklist/ready reckoner or use the tips to quickly solve a problem.
- Feedback And Performance Gain
The real-time feedback keeps learners aligned to the required learning path and helps them practice and perform better.
The Impact For Learners And The Value For L&D Teams
Mobile apps are a great fit for employee training as they provide a learning experience that is:
- Relevant and personalized
- Mobile apps provide real-time feedback to help learners perform better and excel.
- With combination techniques like microlearning and gamification, you can make the learning journey:
- Bite-sized and action-oriented
The gain would be reflected in the following:
- More empowered and hence engaged learners
- Sticky learning experience
- Higher application of learning
- Nudges to practice and upskilling
- Reinforcements to avoid the Forgetting curve
- Influence or trigger behavioral change
Mobile apps for employee training are indeed the future of training, and I hope this article provides insights on how you can use them—not just to train but also to empower your employees!
If you have any queries or need any specific support, do contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.