A comprehensive process and assessment to address technician skills shortage

I have started a new job and I have been delegated the following project.  Based on the parameters below I need to develop an end to end process assessment with four level performance indicators for the sub-categories listed.  Level 1 would be the lowest performance indicator level and level 4 would be the best practise.  This can be used to identify the gaps and best practises of an organisation for staff retention. Would appreciate guidance or helpful links to assist me.

• Workforce Planning

Ø       Internal Commitment

Ø       HR Forecasting

Ø       Forecast Collaboration

Ø       Development Support

• Recruiting

Ø       Focus

Ø       Educational Involvement

Ø       Military Relations

Ø       Support Materials

• Selecting

Ø       Screening

Ø       Interviewing

Ø       Placement Options

• On-boarding

Ø       Orientation

Ø       Mentoring

Ø       Job Descriptions

• Developing

Ø       Job Descriptions

Ø       Development Structure

Ø       Blended Learning

Ø       Learning Effectiveness

Ø       Performance Management

Ø       Development Plans

• Retaining

Ø       Career Opportunities

Ø       Engagement

Ø       Reward & Recognition

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Julio

For the LPI I developed an assessment framework; here it is:-

• Self Assessment – the simplest approach; and, typically, one that provides 70% of the benefit at around 10% of the cost! Simply ask people how they rate themselves! Of course this can be highly subjective and variable.

• Self Assessment backed by Peer or Management Review – is the classic approach of providing standards and overcoming the halo effect that self-assessment involves. It adds to the cost (although many would argue that assessment and review were a critical part of a manager’s job anyway), and clearly it improves that value of the assessment.

• Tested Assessment – in many ways this has become the traditional approach to assessment – involving multiple choice questions, drag-and-drop, simulations etc.. As an assessment methodology it may well have become over-used, and many organisations have limited it to either, only testing self-assessments that are good or exceptional, or to assessing skills that are deemed critical (e.g. as part of remuneration or promotion-related capabilities.

• Work-based Assessment - examples of the individual's day-to-day activities are formally assessed and compared to best practice.

• Case Study, Role Play or Experiential Testing – this is where an individual is placed in a situation in which they have to demonstrate their capabilities in a combination of circumstances – for example, practising the sales cycle in a progression of ever increasing complexities.

My tip for you is this - the hard part is defining, and making visible what best practice looks like!Once you have cracked that, you have solved the key part of the problem as that old mantra is more true today than ever - people don't know what they don't know; and, once you make it visible, you have created a virtuous circle for performance improvement.

Good luck with the assignment

Alan,

Thanks for your feedback. 

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service