HTML and web techniques are very easy to update and maintain. There are a wealth of tools and systems that support massive updating and linking of content throughout many different items (courses).

Why are we still so focused on SCORM? If one could just skip this authoring, packaging, zipping and ftp:ing and instead just move over to CREATING websites we'd save huge amounts of time - both initially and throughout the content's life span.

I've seen the term LCMS and I don't know if that is what I want. What I know I don't want is a good old LMS that only plays these dead SCORM-packages!!!

Is anyone else thinking about this? Aren't you fed up about not being able to just easily edit a misspelling inside of an e-learning???

Views: 683

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Henrik,

You're absolutely right to be asking these questions. There's is no reason these days to require SCORM, and many very good reasons why we should move away from it. But there are some good reasons why people still feel they need to use it:

1. There are a host of SCORM authoring tools that are designed to allow easy creation of content. Often the maintenance aspect is not fully thought through, and many people don't yet understand the benefits of having a content management system sitting behind your content.
  2. Training managers like to track user activity and store assessment data. xAPI can be used to do this, but it's still in the early adopter stage. You might want to look at H5P and Grassblade, which can help create interactive, tracked experiences from inside content management systems.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Henrik,

Vendor alert but with gomo we do both, SCORM if you must and straight to HTML5 if you don't.

www.gomolearning.com

Yes, yes, YES!

Henrik you're saying all the things I've been saying to my boss for the last year, she keeps asking if I want the team to update to the latest version of Articulate Storyline or Captivate and much as I've seen great content come from those I want us to just use HTML.

Interesting responses from others in the thread that I need to investigate, thanks Mark and Mike.

Hi Henrik,

Another vendor alert (uh oh!) but we also develop both for SCORM or straight to HTML5.  Very much appreciate your frustration though, I think this is particularly difficult for teams who develop solely in-house.  

Yes, this is absolutely a "in-house problem". We want to have a real overview and to be able to reuse content wherever we want and you can't do that if everything is locked down inside discrete SCORM-packages.

We've experimented with a combination of HTML content and SCORM assessments and that's a bit closer to what we want but it isn't the holy grail. I'm guessing that would be a CMS with LMS modules that are written entirely in HTML5/JavaScript that exports pass/fail through xAPI to an internal LRS.

Gomo is quite close there actually but would it be able to do all of the above without the need for SCORM?

I couldn't agree more Henrik. SCORM is a hangover from the tyranny of the LMS as king. Mostly it comes back to an organisation's belief that they need to track what people are allegedly learning. The elephant in the room being that; just because someone has clicked on a screen doesn't mean they've retained anything from it, or can make use of it in their role.

I like the new 'build your own responsive website' tools that are appearing. These cost little, are easy to use and (with great design skills) can be used to produce great content. I hope Tin Can adoption will mean more of these tools can be used and meet the tracking requirements of big orgs, however I'm seeing a slow uptake of Tin Can from many of the big LMS vendors.

I'd rather separate out the assessment from the learning and see a gap for tools that measure performance on the job, not screens viewed or scores in an assessment. If anyone knows of such a tool I'd be interested to see one.

Love this question. I remember some late nights in the past, playing with settings for hours to get SCORM to report completions correctly to Moodle. The way many corporate LMSs launches SCORM it’s not a nice experience for the learner either.

As mentioned earlier there are are numerous newer LMS/LCMSs that require investigation. Maybe they can offer a much better digital learning experience. The newer technologies (Tin Can/LRS) should make things better.

Anything we put in the way of the learner causes friction. This can be logging in or slow loading SCORM modules. As our learners experience the online world more on all their devices (YouTube and Lynda.com) they are going to become very impatient if we provide a much poorer experience.

I have two lives. One is my corporate L&D role and the other is my personal life trying the latest tools and modern technology. If I was creating online learning outside of my organization, I would take a different approach.

For example, I’ve used WordPress (CMS) for many years and it’s a joy to use. By adding an LMS plugin you could can a learning portal very quickly. Content creation and publishing by teams to responsive HTML5 content is so easy. Learners can be tracked (only by viewing content). However, working in a large organization systems have to be approved, meet security and server technology requirements.

Although I have used Captivate since early versions it takes a long time to learn. I started to build modules by hand using Adobe Dreamweaver because I liked the clean output and found using templates and file sharing really sped up content creation. These days there are less painful online authoring tools that create HTML5 + SCORM output and these now make much more sense for L&D teams to use.

Anyway, I think we should innovate outside of the LMS and required tracking to improve performance. We should use our intranets to deliver performance support materials and engaging viral videos.

Since my frustrated post up above I've found the LCMS Xyleme. It is an extremely interesting solution that can, for example, create dynamic SCORM links which are sent to an LMS. The LMS treats it as an ordinary SCORM packages (reporting pass/fail) but the content actually still resides in Xylemes database. If you'd want to update a certain content or change the e-learning templates totally you'd do that within Xyleme without having to reexport the e-learning! The other LMS is still using the same link!

I'm very impressed with Xyleme and its LCMS and urge you to take a look at their website (www.xyleme.com) and, no, I'm not an employee there and will not make money through this referral. :-)

Forgot to mention it utilizes HTML5, xAPI and workflows for approval etc. Very nice!

Hi Henrik, 

My experiences have mostly been clouded by LMS's that are part of a wider HR system (like Oracle HR system). I just find them difficult to navigate, unappealing and very limiting to learning - especially in today's digital world where learning comes from many sources and is easily accessed via mobile. 

I've yet to be persuaded about the benefits of having an LMS as part of a HR system. The only argument I ever hear is that it can automatically record learning completion on an individuals HR file. I have 2 problems with this:

1. All the systems I have worked still end up with a large amount of manual uploading of training records into the system from an excel spreadsheet (usually because the LMS was an after thought after the core HR system). So I could use a separate platform for learning and just move training records separate systems with the same manual upload; 

2. This argument to me suggests that these types of LMS were built with the back end functionality in mind, rather than user experience.

Add to that the fact that most scorm compliant elearning I have seen does not record any sort of valuable learning metrics and I'm not surprised you are looking for an alternative!

Good luck in your search for an alternative

I'm still seeing a lot of big organisations buying traditional enterprise LMSs. I can't help feeling that they've missed a big opportunity to embrace something much more forward-thinking. Quite often user experience is a low priority in the LMS selection criteria - IT and procurement seem to rule the roost. Then organisations are confused when nobody uses the LMS!

Rob, could not have put it any better! So true.

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service