I'm looking to deliver some system training and it looks like the most practical way to deliver this would be through some form of online learning sollution such as Webex or similar.

This is something completely new to myself and my training team and I was looking for any hints or tips that people in the LSG community may be able to offer.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Alex

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks again for all the responses. There are loads of things here for me to think about.

Cynan - Thanks for the advice. We will be delivering the training to people who will all be in strong internet areas.

Paul - The staff will all be new, and so will the system and indeed the processes. It is an entirely new venture.

Catherine - Good advice about the voice functionality. Without this i could see significant challenges.

Please keep the advice and sugestions coming.

Thanks.
Hi Alex,

I agree with most of the comments here although I much prefer Adobe Connect to Webex.

A word of caution though. Don't assume you can just deliver a classroom course online. It needs to change. A lot. Also with virtual meeting tools there is a big danger of people at the other end switching off, tuning out or otherwise doing other stuff so you need to plan to mitigate against that.

The best advice I think you've been given, and I reiterate it here: keep it short. Have lots of little modules. Don't force someone to sit in front of a monitor listening for a few hours. They'll hate the content and hate you :)
Hi Alex

I think it depends on how many learners you have, whether there may be any resistance to using the system and the complexity of the system you need to demo.

To train 20,000 people to use new systems, we delivered preliminary F2F briefings for seniors to explain the whys, hows and whens and to address any concerns. We set up training environments containing dummy data for training purposes only. We created demos using TechSmith Camtasia initially, copied demos on to CDs and asked learners to preview. Anyone who wanted F2F training after watching the demos could attend 90 min demo and practice sessions. This approach worked well. In the first year of implementation, 50% of learners opted to attend F2F training. In the 2nd year, 25% of learners opted to attend F2F training.

Recently, we have cut down F2F places and provided Adobe Captivate demos and simulations on the website. The benefits of having demos are the ease of updating as systems evolve, availability as refresher training if people use systems infrequently and opps for learners to view content many times to learn systems fully and to troubleshoot when something goes wrong when using the live system.

We also tried setting up hands-on-labs using WebEx, which is a great idea but needs alot of managing and a lot of spare computers!

We needed a dedicated help desk to deal with queries because we were making significant changes to working practices too.

Good luck!
Thanks Andy.

That is deffinately one of the key messages that i've taken, so thanks for re-enforcing that.

I am intending to make the learning modular and seperate the numerous sessions with time alloted for system self discovery / practice. I know from experience (as i'm sure many of us do) that extended sessions of tell tell tell are not always the most inspiring!

Anne - Thanks for your input as well.

We are hopefully going to employ a similar method to yourself, although the training of the systems is only a part of a much bigger programme of training.

We will be recording demos of the numerous system functions so that learners will have a library they can go to for demonstrations, which should serve as a good tool.

I keep saying it, but thanks for all the input on this conversation. It really is proving to be a very valuable resource for me.

Keep the tips comming.

Alex

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service