There is a huge buzz in the tech environment around HTML5 at the moment, which is due to hit the online world very soon. It's main aim is to standardise internet code and language, essentially making it easier to integrate graphics and multimedia.

Our Senior Technologist Jonathan Archibald has just published a blog post asking whether or not the UK workplace is geared up for this new revision of HTML, and I wanted to share this question with the LSG community.

1. Is your workplace geared up for HTML5?
  2. Are there any plans in place to accommodate this new language? Have you had any browser updates etc
  3. Are you planning to use it in e-learning? If so, do you think it will support and utilise internal capabilities or alienate staff (such as traditional Flash designers)?
  4. Do you think it will make programmes like Flash redundant?

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks
Sam

HTML5. Are you ready?

There is a huge buzz in the tech environment around HTML5 at the moment, which is due to hit the online world very soon, with the aim of standardising internet code and language
essentially making it easier to integrate graphics and multimedia.

Our Senior Technologist Jonathan Archibald has just published a blog post asking whether or not the UK workplace is geared up for
this new revision of HTML, and I wanted to share this question with the LSG
community.

·         Is your workplace geared up for HTML5?

·         Are there any plans in place to accommodate this new language? Have you had any browser updates etc

·         Are you planning to use it in e-learning? If so, do you think it will support and utilise internal
capabilities or alienate staff (such as Flash designers)?

·         Do you think it will make programmes like Flash redundant?

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks
Sam

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sam

Thanks for the link to the blog post. I'm currently comparing what we could do for mLearning using HTML5 through Adobe Edge for example as an alternative option to a mobile authoring tool. I'm still at the early stages of looking into this so would welcome any thoughts anyone has.

Thanks,

Charlotte

At Brighton and Hove City council we upgraded to IE 7 around a year (plus) ago. As we have had problems with coures authored in Articulate I have asked our ICT tyeam about upgrading to IE8 or 9 or rolling out Firefox as an alternative, and I believe ther are no plans to do this (probably for a few years to coome), given that we were using IE6 not so long ago.

So I beleive until large scale organisations adopt HTML 5 browsers therein lies the rub!

Hi, I am planning on using it in e-learning as I'm hopeful it will remove some of the issues we see with Flash. Flash developers from what I understand can export to HTML from the application so there is still a need for them.

I'm also hopeful it will make mobile content easier to accommodate as well.

drew

HTML5 does indeed open up opportunities to develop more quality, engaging mobile learning, and there is proof for why more L&D departments should champion an H5-friendly workplace, as according to the initial findings from the 2011 Towards Maturity Learning Technology Benchmark mobile learning is beginning to establish itself as mainstream technology for learning. With mobile technology usage increasing by 10% since 2010, it will certainly be interesting to see what the barriers to mobile learning adoption are, when the full report is published on November the 10th.

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service