Hi all

We will be launching our e-learning with a small selection of modules in March next year. I'm just wondering if there any key do or don't activities that you have had experience of.

Any ideas/experience or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Views: 37

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mandy,

Th goal I imagine is to get as many people take the the new e-learning modules as possible and then tracking their results in the LMS. The key here is to understand your audience and then educate them with the benefits of taking these courses. If you are dealing with the younger people in retail for example then often a small competition which is based around how many courses they have completed has been demonstrated to work very well. Others in the legal community are required to complete a certain amount of training each year by law - so educating them about the convenience of taking the courses at home, on the train, etc is often more attractive to them. As a result you will see a migration across to the e-learning courses because it is preferred to sitting in the office or attending class. The other good problem is that once people get used to "e-learning" they will start to want more :-) Good luck, Katy
Hi Mandy,

In addition to Katy's suggestions, I'd recommend having a pilot group run through them who can become internal champions, if you will, for them. In the world of software development, this is usually referred to as a group of "super-users" -- those who know how to use the system best. Ideally, your SMEs, who have been involved in the design and development will also help reference and point learners to these new modules. SMEs are typically approached to answer the very questions that the elearning modules have been designed to address. Coaching and reminding SMEs to encourage learners to use the modules, instead of falling into the same ol' habit of answering the learners' questions is also key.

Another thing to consider, if possible, is to include a discussion board for the modules, or a place where learners can positively comment what they received from the course. One easy way to do this is to include a link to a single survey question that learners will complete at the end of the module, such as: "What is your biggest take-away from this course?" Then, embed the link to the survey results on the intranet or someplace where learners can be inspired and see what others are getting from the course.

Wise of you to be asking these questions now, so you can have a successful roll-out and adoption of e-learning.

Good luck!

Margaret
How many end-users will be utilising this elearning programme?
Have you performed a CDR and tested the system yet; ensuring functionalilty and performance of the application?
What LMS or CMS will you be using to host modules?

What browser have you mandated within your community and configuration requirements.
Any internal firewalls restricting individuals from receiving specific file formats?

These are just a few items to consider prior to the launch of your programme?
Let me know - if you require further guidance.

Regards,

Dennis
Without knowing your detailed situation or requirements, here are some general comments from our experience of developing and managing an internal LMS:

I suggest your roll-out plan needs careful consideration. We have taken alternative approaches of formal roll-outs / implementations in specific company territories, and informal take-up of the system through just 'spreading the word' amongst employees. Both approaches can be effective and both have pro's and con's, however that said getting active senior management sponsorship from the outset of the project is certainly very helpful to building some momentum and commitment.

Another key issue we have faced is to confidently promote our system whilst also having enough content available to keep employees interested. Otherwise there is a danger of launching with just a couple of courses and then it can fall flat once these are completed, with the e-learning brand not enjoying the best reputation as a result.

Right from the outset we have also promoted the e-learning as just one part of a broader 'blended learning' approach to employee development, never suggesting web-based self-study is the whole solution. We have deliberately laboured this point to avoid possible cynicism that it's a cost-cutting exercise or a direct competitor with instructor-led training.

Finally we have a network of local administrators / champions to promote and support e-learning at various sites around our organisation. In turn these people are coached on how to get the best out of the system in their area.

Hope these thoughts are of some help,

Good luck,

Nigel
I can't stress marketing enough, just because the e-learning is available or because the users have been told they have to take it, is not enough to get a successful e-learning program started. It's a good idea to have a killer app as your first release in order to get them excited. Start the build up early, don't rely on just announcements or emails. Do a campaign to get the proper frame of mind, this is a new part of the learning culture for your organisation and by selling it well at the beginning will determine the take up.

Kevin
Hello Mandy

Obviously the first thing is to make sure that the learning is seen as a solution to an identifed problem and not just more work to get a successful assessment.
Having recently been involved in the launch of Middlesex University's MBA in Shipping Logistics which is delivered on the web, and also in supporting distance learning students at PG level doing Work Based Learning degrees, my advice would be to recognise that the main cause of drop-outs is emotional. We addressed this by:
- first making sure that students were aware of the problems and stresses of distance learning,
- providing a strong induction programme which clearly worked on the learning skills they would need to reduce stress on not knowing how to work or how they would be assessed
- building mutual support into the programme in that students have to work together on tasks, non-participation = fail. This provided mutual support and the realisation that their problems were probably shared by many others some of whom had probably come up with an answer
- having a high ratio of student supporters (1:6) whose duty is to monitor students are up-to-date in their work , identify how to get them back on track and give necessary emotional support.

We are now towards the end of our first semester and so far, out of 120 students, we have had to my knowledge, 3 drop -outs, one of whom was made redundant. This seems to vindicate our approach is working.

I trust this helps but if you need more info do contact me

Peter Hughes

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service