Liability or Asset? I'm conducting some research and would love to know. . .

I'd like to conduct some quick-and-dirty research into the perceptions that your organisation has of its L&D (or training, or whatever you call it) function.

The simple question is:

Does your organisation view your L&D function as a liability or an asset?  Please just respond with either "liability" or "asset."  If you'd like to justify your response then please do.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan.

Views: 254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I totally understand what you are getting at WRT to measuring an impact or contribution.  Perhaps there's a way where you can measure the number of non-compliance events and track these over time i.e. can you show that the training you deliver is having a positive impact on the number of non-compliance issues?

Perhaps you can also track your performance against the industry - perhaps you perform better per customer than others do?  All this has a financial impact which you can then measure.  There is also a huge impact on reputation which you should be able to put a measure on.

I'm more than happy to discuss the measurement issue at length, together with outlining a number of options available to you - just contact me directly.

Keep up the good work, you're clearly heading in the right direction and I'm sure you'll make the breakthrough you need in due course.

Hi Gwyneth - can I make a suggestion; identifying the value of compliance can be a simple exercise:-

1. What is the cost of our exposure? (e.g. £1m)

2. What is our probability if non-compliance if we fail to act? (e.g. 90%)

3. What is our probability of non-compliance if we do act (e.g. 10%)

Therefore the value-add created by the at action is £800K!! The great point is this - you don't need to come up with these numbers; your senior management does! All you have to do is ask the right questions!! And it's a healthy discussion to have (ref my comment above regarding budgets!!)

Now, let's take the argument further; suppose that, as a result of the compliance training we have been able to increase performance (quite a high probability if the training is more than box-ticking), we can still measure that separately using the Value-methodology.

Oh, and can I make a final point; "business value" is frequently seen as only relevant to the private sector and to the profit motive - and that's a false assumption. In the public sector there's the notion of creating citizen value and the more effective use of public funds!

Thanks for your comments Alan and Jonathan. I will now revise my original post to 'Why, we're an asset of course!'

Hi Gwyneth - if you'll allow me to paraphrase that it is a very interesting outcome to this discussion ......

So can I suggest you change your original post to "What we need to do to ensure that we're an asset"

In other words ...... the way we're perceived is under our control. Phew!!!

Asset - training is seen as an underpinning necessesity of the strategic business plan

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service