Looking for ideas how to make "boring", factual, technical online training interesting?

Hi,

Do anyone have experience in designing technical training, tips & tricks and ideas how to engage the learner?

I'm often challenged to develop technical online learning such as network design principles, product information, etc. This type of content is often seen as a bit boring. Focus is on conveying facts rather that changing behaviours. This is also why I find it hard to create stories and scenarios. I easily ends up with an "information dump" which I want to avoid.

Thank you and Best regards Lars

Views: 830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lars

One simple but useful piece of advice that I was given was to try thinking about the design of a classroom/face to face course not a piece of eLearning.

Whilst I appreciate that not everything in a classroom course would transfer online, if you can think about what would engage learners if you were training them face to face, it might give you some ideas that you could apply to your online design.

Richard.

Hi Lars,

You may want to take a look at the slides that my colleague James Cory-Wright shared in a recent LSG webinar, which focuses on 10 small design innovations that can make the biggest difference to the user: http://www.brightwave.co.uk/webinars/webinar-how-to-improve-the-lea...

He also published a blog post too which you may find useful: http://www.brightwave.co.uk/blog/those-butterfly-moments-elearning-...

Thanks

Sam

Hi Lars,

Sam has added some really good resources which are well worth looking at.  One tip I'd mention is that the 'boring' content is only boring because we treat it as such.  

Taking your example of network design principles, perhaps there's an opportunity to design a course where the learner has to design a motorway network (bear with me on this).  They could be given certain performance characteristics such as traffic flow per hour, cost, distance etc., and could then try and design the most efficient network.

Feedback of a learners efforts can then be specifically tailored to network design principles such as the use of hubs, data flow and so on.  Whilst the learner begins by designing a fictitious motorway network,  they will be learning the principles of actual network design which you can then then get them to apply to examples of telecommunications networks.

By beginning with something the learner immediately understands (we've all been stuck in traffic jams) they will quickly pick up the factual underlying principles without the course being boring.  Added to that, because the course is about designing an efficient network the learner will be constantly focused on making the network as good as it can be rather than merely gaining facts.

Hope this is of help and happy to discuss further.

Jonathan.

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service