I've recently blogged more about what good looks like.  I believe now that good isn't good, enough.  To really make a difference we need to think about Different.

This came about having being challenged by an article on Bruce Mau, the man who wants to redesign the world (here).  He wrote an "imcomplete manifesto" that came up with 43 principles a designer should adhere to (here).

I would suggest reading the above links later, and I'd be really interested in your thoughts so you can find the good stuff here.

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Andy,

As with your previous posts and blogs I couldn’t agree more!  Within L&D (and I know this is bound to attract negative comments) I believe there is just too much mediocrity.  By and large we improve what we do by small, almost evolutionary steps.  We do not take the necessary bold steps to innovate and make a real difference.  We bind ourselves to models and rules (ADDIE is a great example) and we fail to innovate.

I loved your example of the propeller.  As Henry Ford once said “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”  Steve Jobs backs up this concept of ‘knowing what’s best’ by adding, "It's really hard to design products by focus groups.  A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."

A great little book to add to your collection is The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelly which takes the reader through the process that top design team IDEO use when breaking the mold.

I also loved Bruce’s “manifesto” and feel that so many (if not all) of his insights would apply to the L&D fraternity.

Thanks as always for sharing these great thoughts.  Let’s see what others think ;-)

Jonathan.

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service