Fairly often we talk about our challenges and things to stop us, that aren't our fault. But what about the things we do wrong?

Have a read of this: http://wp.me/p1lgzM-11 and then add your 'wrongnesses'.

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Andy,

Another great blog - as usual!  Although I risk getting beaten up over this, I'd like to be nothing if not totally honest . . . . and here it is . . . . I've honestly lost count of the things I've done wrong over the years!  I know that in business I've called some wrong decisions - some of which have cost me personally seven (yes seven) figure sums.  I've also tried to tackle business opportunities that really were only for the clinically insane and so the list goes on.

Focusing on L&D, there have been times when my head has been led by technology, where I've made the wrong call because I was looking after (and therefore needed to promote) my area of the business or just because I was being plain daft (see, I said I'd be honest).

But for me, what I have found is that it's not what you do wrong (here's my get out clause); it's the learning you take away from it that really counts.  Yes I've made some daft mistakes but what I know is that I now carry around learning as a result that will never go away.  A recent issue of Harvard Business Review concentrated on the learning from failures - take a look, there's some great stuff in there.

Make mistakes by all means, but fail fast! That means getting it wrong, picking yourself up, learning and then moving on.

Can't wait to hear what other people have got wrong - and hopefully gained from.

Jonathan.

Hello Andy

I agree with '1. We don’t engage at the start.' - I do sometimes feel that I'm waiting for an invite. I'm much better at getting in there than I was!

Also agree about technology: 'We’ve got a new whizzy thing that’s just crying out to be used. Let’s use that! Maybe we should instead accept that sometimes a bit of well written text is the most effective way'. It's easy to get lost in technology and it can take away your focus on changing behaviours.

I agree with Jonathan - we have to fail to learn; it's the need to learn from the fail that is important.

I'd like to add delegation - I know there have been times when I haven't used my team enough.

Julian

My contribution is that of sub-optimisation. I find that we tend to get caught up in the minutiae and then lose sight of the big picture. But I do agree with other contributors about learning from mistakes. I've always been a great fan of that truism in the book "In Search of Excellence".

"The trick is not necessarily to succeed; but to fail fast!"

Thanks for the replies so far.  

Jonathan, as usual, is right about learning from our mistakes and that's been echo'd in the other posts from Alan and Julian.  

So we're good at that individually (hopefully) but we're not good at that collectively.  If you look back at the "challenges of 20xx" posts, we seem to have the same issues.  I suspect we'd have the same in the "got wrong" category as well.  

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service