Just doing some research on the learning type which people align themselves with. It would be a great help to make if you could vote on the poll below and leave any feedback. 

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doesn't seem like I can embed on here! Please go to here and take the poll there instead if you're interested.

Interesting that learning styles still gets so much attention, personally I think everyone moves across preferences dependant on what is being studied and for what purpose. Having listened to someone explaining how to swim is probably not as useful as some having had some kinaesthetic lessons if you fall into a river but as preparation for those kinaesthetic lessons it could be handy.

Might be interesting to check out this old blog post from Cathy Moore http://blog.cathy-moore.com/2010/09/learning-styles-worth-our-time/  

I am a swim teacher and coach. I mostly demonstrate, using my body, what is required. I will physically move a swimmer's arms or legs into the right position poolside. And that adaptation occurs through repetition of specific sets: drills/kicking etc: I use static diagram on a Kindle to show body positions. I occasionally show video clips on an iPad ... at a risk of getting it wet/dropping it in the pool. We point older swimmers towards specific ASA websites to watch swimmers in action or animations. Motivation is key ... so as well as the fun of the session and competitions if they follow Rebecca Adlington all the better. We get an Olympic swimmer or coach to the pool and there is hero worship for years. 

Something must change with age as Masters swimmers will read a book on swimming then discuss it instead of getting on with the training.

There are no 'learning types' there are only 'learning preferences.'

It is a myth, long shown in research, to believe there are learning types in relation to kinaesthetic, visual, aural etc: The research is clear that students need many different approaches and that often a learning type that we don't like is more effective because we have to work harder at it to focus, or to understand. A mixed approach, plenty of variety, with some choice, but not to the exclusion of one type. Make them listen, make them watch, make them read. Make deadlines a challenge. If you spoon feed learning it is surface deep and rapidly forgotten. 

RSS

Members

Sponsor promotion

LSG Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Donald H Taylor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service